Foods to Avoid Feeding your Dog
Posted On: 11-25-2013
With Thanksgiving this week and Christmas coming too, we thought it would be good to give a quick review of foods to avoid giving your dog. While some of these foods may cause only mild digestive issues, others can cause severe illness. But better safe than sorry when it comes to your four-legged family member!
- Alcoholic Beverages – When dogs consume alcohol, they can become intoxicated just like humans. But because of their higher metabolism and lower body weight, a little alcohol will have far greater effects than in humans.
- Chocolate – The darker the chocolate, the deadlier it is for dogs. Baking chocolate is the most lethal, and only 0.1 oz per pound of body weight is needed to kill a dog.
- Bones – Because they can splinter and may get lodged in a dog’s throat, you should avoid giving chicken and pork bones to dogs.
- Fruit Pits and Seeds – Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, and plum pits contain the toxin cyanide which can cause vomiting, heavy breathing, apnea tachycardia, cardiac arrhythmias, coma, skin irritation.
- Grapes and Raisins – Grapes and raisins contain a toxin that can cause damage to the kidneys and may result in kidney failure.
- Avocados – Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark may contain the toxin persin which may cause an upset stomach. Eating the pit, however, can cause obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract, which is a serious problem.
- Macadamia Nuts – While eating macadamia nuts may not be fatal in dogs, in can cause symptoms that will be very uncomfortable such as weakness of the rear legs, pain, tremors and a low grade fever.
- Onions and Garlic – Onions and close members of the onion family (shallots, garlic, scallions, etc.) contain compounds that can damage dogs’ red blood cells. While serious problems probably won’t occur if ingested raw and small amounts, concentrated forms (onion soup mix, garlic powder, etc.) may cause toxicosis.
- Xylitol – This non-caloric sweetener that is used sugar-free baked goods and sugar-free gum can lead to rapid and severe drop in blood sugar levels which can lead to disorientation, seizures, or even liver failure.
- Caffeinated Items – When ingested, caffeine can cause damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, and central nervous system.