Fun Facts about Snakes
Posted On: 09-13-2013
It’s time for some more fun facts from America’s Family Pet Expo! This time, we are going to look at snakes! While many people have a fear of snakes, they are a very interesting animal that can make a fascinating pet!
- Did you know that only a few hundred snakes are venomous. With nearly 3000 different types of snakes, that’s not very many! In fact, in America, more people die each year from bee and wasp stings than from snake bites!
- The world’s heaviest snake is the Green Anaconda, which can weigh up to 550 pounds!
- Want to see an animal play dead? The Hognose Snake will roll over, open its mouth and let its tongue hang out when it can’t scare off a predator!
- Did you know that some snakes have heat sensors on their heads to track down their prey?
- Many snakes can swallow price thrice their size because of their highly elastic tendons and because their lower and upper jaws can separate.
- Snakes are known for sticking out their fork-shaped tongue. Why do they do that? Their tongues pick up miniscule chemical particles that an organ in their mouth analyzes to detect their surroundings.
- In the United States, the ball python has its name because of the way it curls itself into a ball with its head in the middle when it is anxious or uneasy.
- 7 of the 10 most deadly snakes live in Australia.